Anti-Inflammation for Athletes
Overview of Inflammation and Exercise
- Very high-intensity exercise paradigms are accompanied with the elevation of a specific set of cytokines that includes IL-6 and the unequivocally pro-inflammatory TNFα
- In that context, these myokines most likely contribute to the immunocompromised and inflammatory state that is observed after extreme physical activity.
10 September 2017
Can Antioxidants Help the Endurance Athlete?
Lisa J Elkington, Maree Gleeson, David B Pyne, Robin Callister, and Lisa G Wood
- Endurance athletes, such as those competing in the individual sport of running, cycling, swimming and triathlon, undertake many hours of aerobic exercise training each week.
- Endurance training relies on oxygen use in skeletal muscle to provide the energy for these activities.
- The oxidative nature of this training may increase the production of free radicals, which are highly reactive, and antioxidant defences are necessary to protect cells from free radical damage.
- This potential to damage cells is described as oxidative stress and may result in an inflammatory response from the immune system to protect host tissues.